“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain

Monday 30 June 2008

Travels!!

In an attempt to try and tell you how insane this experience has been, I'm gonna start with my travels. See, being on this programme allows a ridiculous number of opportunities to travel Asia. 20 days paid leave a year plus the 15 national holidays Japan has, has meant that in the short time that I have been here I've been able to do a fair amount of travelling both within and outside of Japan. Even at this point in time I am planning even more trips, including a long weekend away in Hong Kong from 19th July. Really can't wait for that one - the sales there are supposed to be AMAZING!!!

Favourite place in Japan so far? Without a doubt, a tiny place in Kyushu called Takachiho (高千穂). It's absolutely stunning and so GREEN! Spent a really nice day there, chilling, walking around, fishing, boat rides.....if it wasn't for the Japanese constantly staring (foreigners are kinda rare this end of the country) then I would never have guessed I was still in Japan. A far cry from Tokyo..but more on that later ;-)


March was the first time I'd been out of the country (not including my visit home at Xmas). I went to China with one goal in mind...The Wall. Probably the most incredible thing I have ever seen or done, it was a 4 hour hike from Jinshanling to Simitai and was steep, unstable and left my legs caning for 3 days. We could of opted fo the easy one hour touristy hike but nah! We decided if you're gonna do this, then you may as well do it properly! Simply incredible - even know when I look at the pictures, I can't believe I was there. I can't believe I did it - the one thing visible from space and I was there. Now on a mission to visit the remaining 6 wonders of the world.....although they're constantly changing......


Snow at the top, sunshine at the bottom! I would love to say that I was just admiring the view in the second one but I was taking a break from all the stairs!

The last place I went to outside of Japan was the Philippines. I think what ruined this break for me was the fact that I had to do 6 flights in a week. And I have an extremely low tolerance of airports!! Manila was OK - just another city in a third world country. We were only there for a couple of days in transit to and from Boracay Island. Oh yes..Boracay. Paradise on Earth. We stayed in a cute lil place on White Beach - allegedly the second best beach in the world (1st is Nassau Beach in the Bahamas). Don't get me wrong - it was absolutely stunning, but I reckon I saw better beaches in Brazil....absolutely loved it though. White sand, turquoise waters..and EVERYTHING is on the beach. These were some of the best beach clubs I've ever been too! Wouldn't mind checking out the other islands though - especially Palawan which is supposed to be awesome!! Oooooh and on our last night there we ran into some famous Filipino movie stars who showed us a good time! And we didn't have to pay a penny! Nice....
I took so many pics - these are a few of the faves!

Just HOW gorgeous are these sunsets?! Literally took my breath away.


The colours of the sky were just amazing and the beach bars were so romantic!! Better take the man with me next time!!


It was one of those islands where the beach actually does look like the brochure picture *sigh*

No comments: