“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain

Sunday 19 May 2013

Ohhhhh Yeaaahhhhh

I've just gotten in from the Jamaican Festival in Yoyogi-koen.

Man, no joke, I had a BLINDING time!!!

Firstly, I'd forgotten what it was like to be genuinely hit on so much. It doesn't happen a lot when you go out in Japan normally, but being a light skinned girl surrounded by black men....it's coming from every direction!

Free food, free drinks ALL DAY for me and my friends.....I just lapped it all up!!!!

It was just nice for ONCE to be appreciated for having curves, for not being a tiny, skinny Japanese girl and to be surrounded my men who understood what it was like to be a woman of colour in this country. I'm not going to lie, I was spolit ROTTEN and the best thing was seeing that extended to my friends - whether they were white, black or Japanese.

Ragga, dancehall, bashment, reggae - it was all there along with the jerk chicken, rice and beans, goat and pepper soup and festivals. I stuffed my face and drank until I got into a fabulously tipsy state. It was just the perfect way to spend my Sunday afternoon.

But I won't lie. The highlight? The MEN.

Gorgeous choclate and caramel species everywhere I looked...hell yeah, I'm going to take advantage of that!!!! I've always been a sucker for my light skinned island boys and to have so many in one place was heaven for me!!!!! The compliments flew from every direction and all it took was a sweet smile to get me and my friends (men and women) taken care of.

I also had such a fantastic time with the kids. Meeting so many half black, half Japanese children - my goodness, they were GORGEOUS!!!! I was absolutely fixated on this one girl who was just so stunning, I wanted to take her home with me!!!! She had a little attitude which killed me so many times, but especially when this guy went to touch may hair, she slapped his hand away and was like "DON'T touch her hair!". She was 9 years old. She even asked her parents if I could go home with her and they said yes! LOL!! She was so unbelievably precious, I just melted being around her.

I also got to catch up with my dear friends from Saitama and Kyoto which just made it all even better. It's funny because I just loved seeing Japanese people enjoy this music, this food, this culture, but at any other time, you would see them avoid black people like the plague! Weird, huh?

Blinding Sunday. I had the most amazing time.

xoxo

No comments: