“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain

Thursday 16 February 2012

Take That Schwa!

Two days ago we started on phonology.

And that means the dreaded phonemes!!!!

OMG it was so HARD and those things were driving me crazy at the end of two hours trying to work out what they all are. It really is just the English alphabet but writing in phonemic transcript and haveing to identify links, assimilations and weak forms is no easy task.

But yesterday I had a breakthrough when I was working on my second assignment. I managed to write the phonemic transcriptions for 6 sentences by myself, and then best bit is when I checked them with someone else and with a dictionary, I was right!

YAY!

Stupid schwa. 

But it's good because I think I'm finally getting a grasp on it.

It should be a nice easy end to the week - I really enjoyed my lesson yesterday, regardless of all the things I may have done wrong. I have my stage 2 tutorial tomorrow so I guess I'll just have to wait until then to find out who I'm doing overall.

2 weeks nearly down. Time is flying! 4 teaching sessions down and 4 more to go!!

xoxo

No comments: