“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain

Monday 1 April 2013

Waihi

On my first day in Kyushu, I met this guy from New Zealand.

Super cool, chilled and confident, I liked him straightaway.

We ended up becoming really good friends and when he left Japan, I was super sad.

During the 4 years that we were both in Japan, he was always talking about his hometown. A little beach town in the North Island of NZ called Waihi.

He always described it as "mean as" and I'm not joking - I swear the National Tourist Board should pay him for the way he advocated it.

When I decided to go to NZ, there was no way my trip wasn't going to include a visit to this town. And the best bit of it was seeing him again on his home turf.



I loved it. I could completely understand why he had decided to settle there with his beautiful family and after spending one afternoon on the tranquil beach, I could also understand why he didn't want to leave again.

Kicking back with him and catching up on the beach was perfect. It was exactly what I needed after 2 weeks of tramping and mad sightseeing. It might only be a little town, but it's wide, sandy beaches, insanely beautiful starry skies were stunning. For the first time, I was staying in a holiday park (lack of other options) and I just LOVED my accommodation! I was in a self contained unit 2 seconds from the beach. All these other 5* hotels I had stayed in were nothing compared to this dinky little place - which also included a speaker dock for your ipod. Perfect!

The most special thing for me was seeing how happy my boy was. Due to wed in a couple, a STUNNING daughter and a little baby boy on the way - it was so precious to see him with his beautiful family. I'm so, so happy for him and I'm looking forward to going back and catching up in the future.

On the night that I was there, we went to this rock gig. Rock isn't really either or our things, but it was nice to be enjoyuing live music outside and to see the crowds enjoying themselves.

It was a really great couple of days. Waihi is often overlooked in NZ, but if you're heading up to Coromandel, then it's defintiely worth a short stop.

xoxo

No comments: