“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain

Tuesday 6 September 2011

Same Old Dilemma

I have had so many people tell me that I should go "officially" full time at my company.

The pros:

- I'd actually be able to use my brain!!!

- I'd have more management responsibility

- I actually WANT to do that job

- It'll look good on my CV

- 2 days off a week

The cons:

- MAMMOTH pay cut

- Crap working hours (1pm-10pm meaning that you actually would have no free time in the morning to do anything without getting up early...and then having a really long day)

- Related to the above but it would hardcore limit (and cut) the time I would have to study Japanese

In a way I think taking the position would make my life more hectic than it is already. And I'm trying to do the opposite.

What do you think? I'm DYING for a change but at the same time I've managed to get to a point where I'm ready to cut back on my hours to make more time to study. I was at my Japanese lesson this morning and was really chuffed to find out that my level is much higher than I realised. I did last year's N2 test just to see how much work I needed to go and I ended up missing the pass mark by only 2%!!

The onther reason that makes me proud is because I've NEVER studied for that level. I'm still frantically trying to catch up on all the grammar basics that I've never studied so for me to get an overall percentage anywhere near that high is amazing.

So because of that, I'm gonna go for it and try for N2 this winter. The problem is if you fail any one section then you fail the whole test - regardless of how high the overall percentage is. When I did this mock, I got 100% in the listening and over 90% in the reading and barely scraped passes in the Kanji and Grammar sections. Seeing how close I managed to get without even having studied for it makes me motivated to speed up my progress and get onto that N2 grammar ASAP - well, after I've managed to grasp the basics. Even if I pass N2 this year, I'm still gonna take it again next summer - just so I can get a decent score. 50% is seriously low and if I was to join a company with such a low pass mark, then I still would struggle with the business Japanese.

So yah, I wanna cut back on hours so that I can make time for this. Plus I'm at a point where I need to take a break from my clients....especially in the afternoons! LOL!

xoxo

No comments: