“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain

Friday 12 November 2010

Nikko

So I told you I was driving up to Nikko on Wednesday.

What a wicked fun road trip! Even though I was up earlier than I would've been if I had gone to work, it was such a nice, smooth easy drive out of the city and into the countryside.

The leaves around the temples were gorgeous. Even though they had already fallen in the mountains, the drive up this crazy windy road was so much fun and I nearly hit a monkey that just ran out in from of the car. Even crazier was the weather. It started out gorgeously sunny and then around 3ish, it just got FREEZING. When we drove into the mountains, it started to snow. I was sooo not prepared for that.

I can't imagine doing as much as we did without a car. The station is so far away from the sights and even though there are buses, it must be such a pain to have to wait around for them. Plus the fact that some of the attractions out of Nikko city are really far away from the bus stops - I mean, who's gonna walk to an outdoor onsen in the arse end of nowhere in the dark!?

That was such a nice way to finish of the day. On the way back we made a stop in Utsunomiya and still made it back to Tokyo in good time. I've been knackered ever since though, coz I still had to get up at 5am the next day to go to work.

*sigh*

Can't believe how CHEAP it was to rent a car! So gonna go on another road trip before the winter bargain offer is up. In the meantime, I'll be off to Korea next week to hang out for a few days. It will be much needed time off.

Pictures to come as soon as I've charged my camera battery!

xx

No comments: