“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain

Wednesday 19 September 2012

Get Well Soon

Last night I got the really sad news that my grandad is in hospital.

It's not even the fact that he is in hospital which is the sad part - I am just stunned at how fast his health has deteriorated. I was with him only 5 weeks ago and he was doing OK, but since then I've heard about falls, confusion and now, a broken hip.

88 years old...and my grandad is no different to other members of that generation - he HATES hospitals. He HATES doctors and he HATES being taken care of. And from the sound of it, he is letting every single person around him let him know that and is being a very difficult patient. 

I don't want to go into any more details, but what I heard about his behaviour has really shocked and upset me. He sounds so out of character, but deep down I know it's just a reaction from having to stay in hospital. And his condition has gotten so serious, that when he comes out, for sure he's gonna need round the clock care.

That is NOT gonna go down well with him. =(

I asked my mum last night if I needed to go home. She said no. I was gonna buy my ticket to NZ next week, but I think I'll hold off for 2 weeks just until I know the whole situation. If everything's good, I'm gonna pay an extortionate price, but it's only money and it can be made back.

This year marks the 5th anniversary of the passing of my nan. She would have been 90 this year. And there isn't a day that goes by where I don't think about her and I applaud my grandad in battling on as long as he has since that day. Thank you.

 Needless to say, I am worried sick and didn't sleep a wink last night. I'm going to buy a card and write a letter to him - hopefully that will cheer him up.  He's talked about wanting to leave for years....I can only hope now that he isn't giving up. Feeling like crap today.

Be strong.

Get well soon.

xoxo

No comments: