“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain

Monday 28 July 2008

Countryside lover

The more and more time I spend here, the more I'm loving the countryside.

Maybe I wouldn't feel the same if the beach wasn't 20-30mins away....

...but before when I was here, surrounded by mountains and rivers, I used to think 'God, I wish I was in Tokyo'.

But then every time I go there I only enjoy myself for a short amount of time. Mainly because I DETEST public transport there!

People say that Japanese people are perhaps the politest people on Earth. They sure as hell aren't in Tokyo! Take the rush hour train. Back home when it's blatant that you can't physically get on the train, you simply wait for the next one. Not in Tokyo. People stand in front of the door and then ram everyone backwards with their arses and elbows until they're on the train. Getting a seat is probably worse and you are inevitably going to have someone's groin rammed into your face.

Makes the tube seem so much more bearable...even if there is no air con. Even in Hong Kong people waited if it was so obvious that there was no room for more people to get on. They didn't barge their way into a full carriage. Although the whole concept of 'let the passengers off first' doesn't seem to exist in any Asian country.

I was on the beach on Saturday and it was so beautiful it made me realise it really isn't that bad living where I do.

Sometimes.......

No comments: