“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain

Wednesday 11 April 2012

The Penis Festival

OMG gomen ne - it feels like I haven't written for ages.

It's not that nothing has been going on...I dunno, I guess I just haven't been in the mood to share much recently.

But now that it's my day off and it's pissing down outside, what better time to catch up.

So let's start with the Kanamara Matsuri at the beginning of the month.

Many people are unfamiliar with this festival....to foreigners, it's more commonly known as the Penis Festival (or Festival of the Steel Phallus), and I've shied away from it for years because seeing pictures of young children dangling off the head of a huge wooden penis seemed wrong to me.

But this year, I decided that it's just gotta be done! Plus it was a great chance for me to catch up with one of my girls that I haven't seen for a year.

If you haven't already, check out the pictures on Facebook. But here's a little taster for you.

The masterpiece
 The first shock; I literally can't believe how RAMMED it was! I knew that it would be busy, but I was kinda expecting there to be more foreigners from what I'd heard about it from other people. The crowds were insane and there was pushing, shoving, toe stamping, elbowing and jabs in the back from people trying to get to....ermmm.....a wooden penis?! 

The second shock; HOW many children were there at this festival?!?!?!?!?!?! OK, I'm not exactly a prude, but this kinda thing is certainly not a place for kids!! And what made for seriously uncomfortable viewing was a little boy sucking on a penis shaped lolly, rolling it round and round in his mouth, flicking his tongue over the head and shoving the whole thing in and out...in out out. **CRINGE** I just wanted to grab the thing away from him....I kept looking around and seeing other men looking at him....paedo alert!!!!!


Seeing this huge giant penis bopping along through the crowd just cracked me up. It's hard to knwo what to think and when it came down to it, I just laughed. The whole thing was just WEIRD and apart from the little kids and all the guys sucking on those lollies, it wasn't actually as vulgar as I thought it was going to be. But I'm not gonna like, I was left feeling confused and slightly...er....hot and bothered. LOL!!!!!!! 


Once is enough. Definitely won't be going back next year!!!!!


xoxo

 

No comments: