“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain

Monday 9 July 2012

A True Champion

I got into bed at 10pm last night with the intention of having an early night.

I tried, I really did.

But I just couldn't forget that the Wimbledon final was about to start. I was just about to turn out the light when I jumped outta bed, turned on the TV, flicked to NHK....

.....and there it was.

Waiting for me! =)

I worked it that as long as the match didn't last for more than 5 hours, I'd be able to suffer the consequences today. That would take me to 3am, leaving me with just 2 hours sleep - tough, but a crap loada red bull would be able to sort me out through a shorter day at work.

So I got a blanket, spread out on the couch and started watching.

My god the atmosphere was electric - I wasn't sitting still for long I'll tell ya! The first game alone had me on the edge of the seat as Murray went up a break. He was playing incredible tennis in the first set and after he had taken it 6-3, I couldn't help but get SERIOUSLY excited.

Could he really do this?

No surprise that Federer came back and took the second. Then it started to rain. I was lying there on the sofa and even though I knew that they were going to put the roof on, I was looking at the clock wondering when it would all start again. Should I wait? Should I go to bed?

I held on for about 10 minutes or so when I realised that I just HAD to go to bed. It was already late and I wasn't gonna get enough sleep as it was. I'll tell you though - if play hadn't of been suspended for even that short time, I would have stayed up and watched the whole thing.

When my alarm went off this morning, the first thing I did was grab my phone and check online for the results.

I wasn't surprised that Federer won, but of course I felt gutted for Murray. I was hoping for a closer match as I was checking out the scores.

I'm downloading the game now and am gonna pick up where I left off last night. I watched the final moments and I know that I'm gonna ball when I see Murray give his speech! Gutted!

But Federer. 7 times Wimbledon champion, 17 Grand Slams. He is just stunning. An absolutely stunning player. I'm looking forward to seeing if he can add an Olympic gold medal to his collection - and I'll be rooting for him to do just that!

Tennis players have so much class and sophistication. Especially when you compare them to footballers! Their wealth is there to see, but it's not flaunted in annoyingly extravagant ways - the wives and girlfriends aren't dressing up in next to nothing and heading out for a night on the town in hope of getting snapped by the paparrazzi.

And if you were paying close attention to detail like me, I'm sure you noticed the insane SICKNESS of Federer's rose gold Rolex. CHER-CHING!!! That man is STYLING like no one's business!! He looks and plays the part of a true champion.

Congratulations!!

xoxo

No comments: