“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain

Saturday 30 March 2013

Taupo

KK, back to the North.

After a couple of nights in Wellington, I took the super long bus ride up to Taupo. I decided that that was gonna be my base to do the Tongariro Alpine Crossing.

Even though the bus ride was long, it flew by because the driver was so entertaining. As we were on our way, we passed the Crossing and I started to feel really nervous as the magnitude of what I was planning to do started to creep up on me.

The weather was great when I arrived - I was really lucky because there was seriously heavy rain in the south and I had heard on the news that the Milford Sound track was flooded. I felt so happy to have missed out of a load of crap weather!

Taupo is a really cool town. Lake Taupo is the largest lake in New Zealand and is beautiful. This was going to be my destination for a skydive but the whole thing worked out so ridiculously expensive, I couldn't decide whether to do it or not. By the time I had decided that I WAS gonna do, I was told that the weather was gonna be too cloudy and a bit rainy to jump. Pissed. After all that time I spent psyching myself up for it! New Zealand is certainly a drain on the wallet, that's for sure.

The second day I was there, I took a walk to Huka Falls. I had underestimated how far it was and how long it would take, so the whole time I was walking, I was worried about whether I would be OK doing the Tongariro Crossing the next day. 

I'm gonna do a whole other entry on the crossing, so I'll get back to that later.

In the meantime, enjoy the pictures on Facebook!

xoxo

No comments: