“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain

Thursday 11 September 2008

A cook or a cock?!

The whole cook/cock thing has always managed to bring a smile to my face and today was no exception.

Just a quick explanation for you back home! So in Japanese, the word 'cook' is pronounced 'cock'. Something that I'm sure has provided as much amusement to other English teachers as it has to me. Especially when other teachers proudly announce that their brother/sister/son/daughter is a cock.

Hehe.

So I was teaching my 11-12 year olds jobs today. Of course when I held up a picture of a chef, they all shouted out 'cock!' I managed not to laugh as having to explain what they were really saying would have been far worse in the long run. So I just made sure they used the word 'chef' instead of 'cook'. That way, there would be no confusion.

A group of boys came up to me and the end of the class. Giggling and pushing each other forward they come up to me and asked me 'Do you cock?'

Now because they were laughing so hard, I think it was fair to assume that they knew what the word cock meant. I guessed that they were trying to ask me if I have sex. I was trying to decide what the best kind of answer would be and decided that it wouldn't be a good idea to encourage these boys. So I said that I COOK food every day at home.

Then they just looked confused. And then I was confused that they were confused. And then one of them just turns round to me and says:

'How do you cock food? That's disgusting!'

And then they all gave me a filthy look and walked off.

Great. Now my students think I do dirty things with food at home.

Doh!!!

No comments: