“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain

Thursday 31 December 2009

Looking Back On 2009: January to June

So here it is. The highlights of 2009. Enjoy!

January

I saw in 2009 in the amazing Cambodia. For me, it absolutely whooped Thailand's arse - an absolutely unforgettable trip. I would add loads of pics of Angkor Wat, but technically it was still 2008 when I was there so I won't. New Year's Day, I went to Beng Melea, which is this awesome temple about 2 hours outside of Siem Reap. Not many tourists go there because it is so far away but it was just incredible - you could seriously explore and I had a lot of fun there.


From left: Celebrating NYE in Siem Reap with a tan and crocodile steak; Beng Melea on New Year's Day; Happy New Year

And how can we forget the inauguration of Barack Obama. Another incredible moment, and the point at which my attitude towards Americans changed a little bit. I mean, if they can elect a black man to be the most powerful man in the world, then they can't be all bad!

February

The month when I found out I passed the JLPT! I remember seeing the results and just being in this massive state of disbelief that I actually managed to pass without having studied. A fluke at it's best!

This is a pretty amusing memory as well - a party I went to in Hizen. I can't remember what the theme was - women?! Anyway, it was really good fun to put my friend into one of my dresses and do his make up.

Ladies out on the town!!!!

March

I made a couple fo trips this month. The first one was a road trip to Shikoku. Tip number one...make sure you have a decent sized car and tip number two...don't go on a road trip with people that you don't know well! Despite a couple of hiccups, Iya Valley was absolutely beautiful. The second was a trip to Kyoto with my girl, which is one of the best trips that I've taken since I've been here. Incredible culture, awesome shopping and nightlife, catching up with an old friend and just having a really, really good time! Definitely my second favourite city after Tokyo. By a mile.


From top left: Shikoku, Kinkaku-ji in Kyoto, cherry blosson season!

April


This was the month when I hardcore starting looking into my options in Tokyo...and when I realised how my friendships with certain people had blossomed to a point that I knew I was going to take them through life with me. I also went back to brunette (which ended up fading back into light brown anyway) and fractured my ankle, leaving me unable to go to the gym for 6 months. Not pleasant at all!


May

A great trip to Taipei and Bali for Golden Week. Not only was I with great friends, but I got to meet up with my girl from England, and I can't even begin to explain how great that was! Another great month for really appreciating all the fabulous people around me.


View from Taipei 101 (the world's tallest building); Borabador (Java); reunited with my girl in Seminyak, Bali; sunset on Kuta beach, Bali.

I had a great afternoon celebrating one of my best friend's birthdays this month as well. We made him an awesome lunch, cooking steaks on his balcony on a ghetto arse disposable BBQs. Good times.

The birthday lunch With my boys <3>

I had a great birthday this year. It started with a BBQ at a beachside restaurant and then a camping party on the fabulous Hamasaki Beach. A place which I know I'm really going to miss when summer comes around next year. I ended up celebrating my birthday for an entire week. At the beginning of the month as well, I came to Tokyo for a few days for flathunting and found the perfect house...which I still have no pictures of!

At Jammin with friends and on the gorgeous Hamasaki beach

During this year, me and my girls enjoyed fabulous nights out at our favourite haunt, where we downed bottle after bottle of fabulous wine and champagne, always followed by song destructions in karaoke!


No comments: