“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain

Monday 14 May 2012

To Buy Or Not To Buy?

You all know I'm an athletics fanatic.

I was a 100m sprinter, relay runner and long jumper back in the day. I watch the Olympics, World Championships, European Championships, plus all the Indoor Championships religiously.

I've grown up idolizing athletes and have met a few through events and having athletes as close friends. One of which will lead me to meet Usain Bolt this summer.

All the athletes participating only get limited concession tickets, and even those are only for the days that they are competing, so I have been trying to work out how to get in there. My friend's working on it for me too! HAHAHA!

But today I got a mail from him telling me that he could get hold of a ticket for me.

For which event?

The most sought-after of course.

The MEN'S 100M FINAL!!!!!

What's so special about these particular tickets I'm being offered?

THEY'RE AT THE EFFING FINISH LINE!!!!!!!!!

OH. MY. F******. GOD!!!!!!!!

What's the damage?

A whopping £725!!!!!!!!!! (95,000 yen)

Here's the thing.

I CAN afford it. I CAN.

But the other half of me sees that money and thinks that I can totally take a trip with that kinda cash. Am I really gonna spend it on something that's gonna last under 10 seconds?!

It would be like a dream come true to be there. At the line. The final. I would effing die.

Then there's the part of me that's thinking about buying the ticket and then selling it.

I reckon I could get at LEAST double. At least. That would be a tidy little profit that could cover the cost of my flight back to London and I would still have some left over.

But the problem is I know that once that ticket's in my hand, it would absolutely just break my heart to give it up. This is something that I've DREAMED of for years. 

The 100m men's final.

There are tickets available. It's one of the first events to sell out, if not THE first event.

Am I really gonna pass up the opportunity of a lifetime because of money?

£725 for under 10 seconds. Can I really justify that?!

Just BEING there could be enough. 

OMG but I could be INSIDE. I could be AT THE FINISH LINE. Watching the winner burst through that line and take gold. See the medal giving ceremony. Be close enough to touch them when they cross that line.

This is serious stuff.

I know so many people can't understand forking out so much money for Olympic tickets.

But this time it's different.

It's on home turf.

And these aren't just any effing seats. These are PRIME EFFING LOCATION. You couldn't ask for better.

This has been a lifelong dream of mine. And now I have the chance to fulfill it. It would be the most amazing 10 seconds. It's the final - the atmosphere will be ELECTRIC. And it's in LONDON. My city. My home. I want to go.

It's a crap loada money. But I need to make a decision soon.

We all have dreams. Wouldn't you pay to realize yours?

xoxo

No comments: