“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain

Saturday 10 January 2009

Phuket

So when I decided to go to Thailand, Phuket was one of the first islands that I thought I HAD to go to.

Why? Just because everyone I know who has been to Thailand or talked about Thailand has always mentioned Phuket. So I figured it was one of those places that you go to when you go to Thailand.

NOT IMPRESSED!!

I think the thing that I hated most about it was that it was just so TACKY! I was staying in Patong which is where the mad nightlife is and it was just...I don't even know. I mean, everyone knows that people go to Thailand for the girls but I got so bored of seeing all these young Thai girls holding hands with this fat, ugly, old men while swinging a hotel room key in the other hand.

It was really amusing thought to watch women trying to attract men with their dancing. Some of them were good dancers and really pretty. Some you just looked at and wondered what the hell they were doing there! This is a bar where there were tables right down the middle of the street and then girls just line the sides dancing and trying to get work. It was great though watching the guys watching the girls. There were just some really old men there alone who were having the times of their lives!! Just not my kind of place!!



I was really disappointed because while I was staying in Phuket I was supposed to do a day trip to Koh Phi Phi. Where the movie 'The Beach' was filmed. I was really looking forward to it and I made the reservation and everything. I got up the next day and the minibus never came to pick me up. I rang numbers and no one answered and the front desk of the hostel i was staying in was closed! I was absolutely fuming!! At least they gave me my money back but I was really disappointed at missing out.



This is Patong Beach. It was like a 10 minute walk from my hostel. I went here on the first day I was there and then never went back. I absolutely HATED it! It doesn't look that bad in this picture but it really was. You had no choice but to get a lounger. That space that you see in between the rows of loungers was the only bit of free sand and if you laid a towel there you would get stepped on every five seconds. So I paid for the lounger and then was bugged about every 3 minutes by people selling shit or people offering all these water sports choices. I gave up trying to read my book! The rest of the time I was there I chose to go to Karon Beach which was like a 10 minute taxi ride away. The difference was amazing. It wasn't as crowded and was so wide there was more than enough room to strecth out and sleep on the sand.

The whole time I was in Phuket it was overcast and grey. It was actually really cool as well and started to drizzle. Not good sunbathing weather! The mornings were pretty warm and sunny but I was never out of bed early enough. By the time I made it down to the beached it was nearly 2pm and the sun had disappeared by then and it was just cold!

I really enjoyed the seafood here as well. Really tasty. I happily stuffed my face everyday.

But I don't think I would go back to Phuket again. Actually, I KNOW I wouldn't. It's just not my kind of place. I didn't have a BAD time there but I just got annoyed with the number of tourists and I prefer quiet beaches where you can relax. That's what I was looking for.

Next time, I think I'll go to Krabi. I heard GREAT things about that island.


No comments: