“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain

Thursday 15 January 2009

Uh Oh

Shit may be about to hit the fan.

So basically I've mentioned before about the Thursday morning elementary school 6年生 class that I absolutely hate right?

I went in today to find out that they had absolutely no plan.

Again.

This is the 8th time it's happened. I reminded them that I've told them many times before, if they want me to prepare something, then they should tell me. I don't carry around flashcards with me so I can't just come up with something that we haven't already done a billion times before when I've been screwed over.

So they came up with a pathetic plan which I changed a bit for my sake. Just because it was so damn BORING.

But the kids man. You know I HATE these kids. They are rude, obnoxious, thick as shit and are basically a year of bullies. But they seem to have really switched on the teachers - throwing stuff at them, not listening even when the teachers are like proper shouting at them, laughing in their face. I was like DAAAAAMMMMMNNNNN.

It was a terrible class and I gave up half way through because the teacher just could not control them. I just sat down and let them do whatever they wanted. I decided a long time ago that I have tried so hard with this class that they don't deserve my efforts.

So I've taken it to the BOE. EVERYTHING. They know I've had a couple of problems with teachers and lesson planning before at this school but I never told them everything. But now I have because the way I opened my message in Japanese translated to:

'I will no longer be teaching 6年生 at so and so school'.

And then I just launched into everything that was wrong with the class, the students and the teachers. EVERYTHING. Their attitude, the laziness, the lack of 'team' teaching, emphasizing on the point that my job is an ALT. The A meaning 'Assistant' and I should not have had to put up with most of what I have. I explained that I have difficult classes at other schools too but I always have the full support of the other teacher but this doesn't happen at this school.

I basically ended it by telling my BOE that that grade just doesn't deserve my efforts.

Now there is gonna be a string of meetings.

It's gonna be awkward. But I tried to suck it up for just another 2 months or however long it is until the end of the term. It just came down to the fact that the kids and the teachers don't wanna do the class, then why should I bother?! I think the teachers would be relieved if they didn't have to bother with the class on a weekly basis. And I certainly would.

My BOE have asked me to hang on a bit longer. I told them I have been hanging on since last June when all this crap started happening.

I wonder if they will just let me quit that class.......


No comments: