“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain

Tuesday 24 November 2009

Back In The Classroom

Today was my first day back in the classroom....

...and man, have I got some nightmare children!!

Teaching babies is actually pretty incredible. Their comprehension of what you are saying is amazing, even if they can only say a few words back. Not to mention the fact that they are ADORABLE!! Sooooooo cute!! Infant classes have a lot of little shits in - kids that just can't keep still and never shut up. They are definitely going to be a handful.

Elementary kids and above are definitely in my comfort zone, but there are some really difficult kids in those classes as well. As for the JHS class I had today - what a load of attitude!! But I am hoping to change that as time goes on.

But one thing that all the classes have in common is that the level that they are working at has absolutely stunned me. I can't believe that a 2 year old can write in English, that a 4 year old can answer questions in short sentences and an 11 year old can do the same grammar (but not well!) as a 3nensei JHS kid.

And it's all thanks to these pushy mummies. So many of them were watching the class through the window - probably because they want to grab a peek at the new teacher but more than anything, they want to make sure that they are getting their money's worth.

I've started at a really busy time. Next week, all the classes, including the babies (?!?!?!), have a test. The week after that I have to do all the Christmas classes. It's all quite overwhelming because I have to get my head around all the books and CDs and everything and there are so many of them for each level, it's really confusing.

Over to my second school tomorrow!

xx

No comments: