“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain

Thursday 14 January 2010

Haiti

Have you been following the Haiti earthquake on the news?

I just watched a whole load of video footage and now my heart is just going out to all of those people.

I can't imagine what it would be like to actually survive a natural disaster on that scale and try to rebuild your life from scratch. I thought the same thing after the massive tsunami. Just seeing people suffering and screaming out for help is just awful and it's like I almost feel guilty for carrying on and getting ready for work when so much devastation is happening on the other side of the world.

Although I guess we all turn our back everyday. It's true that the majority of us remain oblivious to what's going on in the world everyday until something terrible happens and our attention is drawn to it via the media. Shameful. But sadly true.

It always reminds me of my goal to eventually do some charity work in the favelas of Brazil. Don't get me wrong - I never forget that it's something that I want to do, but it always seems to get pushed to the back of my mind as I'm trying to kickstart my career right now. But I promise I will do it. I don't know when, but I will.

I promise.

Take some time out today to think about all those poor people affected by the earthquake in Haiti. And then be grateful for what you have.

xx

No comments: