“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain

Wednesday 26 January 2011

The Shoe Is On The Other Foot

So I went to my trial Japanese lessons today.

Well, they weren't really trial lessons - the first one I went in and it was just a level check and to be honest, I was spoken to for most of the time I was there. I went into this tiny, cramped place and the first thing I noticed was the woman had ink all over her hands. It was like a makeshift company with crap everywhere and foul decor.

The woman I spoke to was nice enough - she was from Saga as well so it was an immediate connection. The "level check" consisted of her asking me if I've done any JLPT tests before and how many kanji I knew. I told her I had no idea and from that she "levelled" me. I was shocked because there was no conversation to actually confirm what I had told her. She asked me what I wanted and I told her I was aiming to take N2 this year. The second part of the check was asking me random questions from the N2 and N3 textbooks and because I answered more from the N3, apparently that's my current level.

Interesting methods!!

At the second place, it was just a level check and interview - I'm having a trial lesson in a couple of weeks. Straightaway, the whole atmosphere was more professional - I was sat in front of a computer and asked to fill out a form where I had to state what I could already do, what I wanted to focus on, what my weaknesses were, my goals and other things like that. I was then given a kanji check and from that, a vocabulary check where I was levelled at pre-advanced - which means I would start studying from the N3 textbook.

What I was really impressed by with both schools was their honesty. I wasn't actually interested in taking the N3 - I wanted to try straight for the N2 in the summer. I knew I wouldn't be able to pass but I wanted to try it anyway. Both schools told me that in order to be ready to take N2 by the summer, I would have to take 3-4 classes a week so that I could bridge the grammar gap from N4-N2. I've only done the old 3kyuu which is the equivalent of N4, so I wouldn't be able to start on the N2 course because I don't have any of the grammar (or very, very little) from N3. There's no way I could take that many classes a week (and definitely not at those prices!!) so given that the maximum I could make is 2 (and that wouldn't even be every week), I wouldn't stand a chance of even understanding all the questions in the N2 exam. They were both 100% that I could pass N3 with a great score though, even going just once a week from next month until July. I could have told them that! LOL! I'm already at the required kanji count - I just have to review the readings - but I have to work on all that grammar stuff. I took a look at the book and I haven't seen some of that stuff before so they want me to start working on that and then start learning the kanji for N2 so that I can be ready to take that exam in December. If I can keep up a good study pace, they told me I could be ready to take N1 December 2012 or July 2013 at the latest. IF i keep studying.

Ufffff.....

So yah, I'm glad that they didn't fob me off with unrealistic goals. I think I was the one being unrealistic when I actually saw the grammar gap that I have to make up to take N2. I'm gonan check out one more school - it's actually a part of my company so I get a discount. I really liked the second school but it was just soooooo expensive. Having said that, you get what you pay for. The first one was way cheaper but the school was cramped, uncomfortable and even though I like the teacher, she didn't ask me anything about what I wanted from the course but the second one asked me things that I ask my own clients - lesson requests, teacher requests, how I want to split the lesson time...stuff like that.

Lots of thinking to do!

xoxo


No comments: