“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain

Tuesday 5 August 2008

Completely hooked on Bhutto

Today I started reading 'Daughter of the East' - Benazir Bhutto's autobiography.

I am completely hooked.

I'm not embarrassed to admit that I knew nothing of the history or politics of Pakistan before I started reading this book. It's never been an area I've taken great interest in...well, not until Bhutto's assasination. Or rather I've fallen into the group of people who, mainly due to terroism and the events of 7/11 and 7/7, have stereotypically negative views of the Middle East.

Reading this autobiography is a history lesson. And the more I read, the more amazed I become at how much I don't knwo about Pakistan and it's history. I didn't even know that Bangladesh was originally East Pakistan before it was invaded by India. I knew nothing about the war between Pakistan and India.

It makes me feel slightly guilty about being so ignorant in my opinions of the East.

I think the majority of the West have always considered Islam to be a repressive religion. I was taught that in school. But Bhutto's autobiography argues the point that it is not Islam that is repressive, but 'MEN'S INTERPRETATION OF ISLAM'. I'm not entirely convinced that makes it any better.

It really is a compelling read. That an Islamic woman can be so politically active at such a young age and change Pakistani society by becoming Islam's first elected woman Prime Minister.

A true inspiration. What a waste of a life.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

if you are interested in different opinions on religion, read 'God is not great- how religion poisons everything' by Christopher Hitchens (2007)

Phinehas said...

"Mere Christianity" by C.S. Lewis is also a solid read that I highly recommend.

The book you're reading right now piques my interest. I lived in Bangladesh for 8 years and probably don't know as much about it historically as you do!

Phil