“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain

Monday 23 March 2009

Buddhism

I've just been made aware of some Buddhist principles.

1) Keep thoughts of disappointment out by focusing on the moment.
2) Let things BE
3) Don't complain - believe the world is already perfect
4) Pride is a vice
5) The world just needs to be appreciated - trying to change things is often futile and only leads to frustration.

When I read these, I could only come to one conclusion. Buddhism=passivity. I honestly don't see how principles like these can be viewed in any other way. There is nothing wrong with striving to get what you want, with having dreams, ambition. With trying to change things instead of just accepting them. I have some Japanese friends who are Buddhists and I always thought that they were passive and unambitious purely because I was comparing them to myself. I grew up believing that you don't get far in life if you don't have dreams or ambition. And when I measure myself up to a lot of the people in my life today, I am stronger and more ambitious than about 95% of them. I have a goal and every day that I am here is a step closer towards reaching that goal. I could never accept things exactly the way they are. I don't think I ever will. Obviously, there are some things that you can't change. Like the Buddhist principle, there are things that you should let be. But not everything. And the world is so far from perfect, it pains me to read such a statement. People that fight to eliminate poverty, famine, war, AIDS, cancer - are they wrong in the eyes of Buddhists? How can these things be appreciated? It IS frustrating when you can't change something. But if it's your goal, your aim, then surely that feeling of frustration just makes you work harder?

I'm not slating Buddhism. I want to make this clear. I respect people's beliefs. But it doesn't mean that I have to agree with them. And after reading these principles, Buddhism is a mystery to me. I don't think I will ever understand it. But if living this kind of passive life is attractive to you, then どうぞう!

And good luck with it.

No comments: