“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain

Thursday 19 March 2009

Hokkaido Highway Blues

I have just finished reading this book by Will Ferguson.

I haven't had such a compelling read in a long time.

It tells the story of Will Ferguson's hitchike across the length of Japan, following the sakura's journey from the southern tip of Kyushu all the way to Hokkaido - the most northerly point.

I LOVED it. It is absolutely hilarious and I often found myself bursting into laughter in the middle of a deathly silent teachers room.

And I know the reason why I loved it so much. It's because I can RELATE to so much of what he's written about. His experiences as a foreigner in Japan mirror what all of us experience. His attitudes toward the Japanese and his reactions to the Japanese people's reactions to him are such a familiar feeling. I was constantly nodding and grinning to myself and thinking 'My God, that is so true'.

It's also full of a lot of interesting facts - not only about Japan, but also about why a thumb is the symbol of hitchiking, yet the index finger is used to hail a taxi. Gripping stuff! LOL!

I want you all to read it. Especially if you are here living in Japan. It's just so offensively funny and impossible to put down.

Please read it. I can't recommend it enough.

No comments: