“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain

Friday 30 December 2011

Four Thousand Islands

On boxing day we set of for a 2 day tour and stayed on a small island in the Mekong at the most southern point of Laos.


The trip started with a visit to Wat Phu - the oldest Buddhist temple in South East Asia. It's older than Angkor Wat is is a crumpled heap of ruins which you reach after climbing crumbling, steep stairs!

Then it was a long car ride down to the point where we hopped on a boat for a 2 hour trip along the Mekong and around the Four Thousand Islands. The sun was blazing and the scenery was gorgeous but I'm not gonna lie -my arse was CANING by the end and I was dying to get off!!! LOL!!

We rocked up at this tiny island called Don Kone. It's not where most people stay but it has a better quality of accommodation and we were only there for one night. It was a shame really because even though we had the evening to relax, it got dark really quickly and everything shuts down so early that you're forced back into your room and my friend told me that I was knocked out by 9pm!

I have to take a moment to talk about the sunset that we saw on that island. Easily right up there with the best sunsets that I have ever seen it my life. My pictures look like postcards - I've taken so many and they are absolutely impossible to edit so I'm going to put them all up onto Facebook when I get back. Breathtakingly beautiful watching all the colours change and the palm trees and boats turn to silhouettes. You're gonna die when you see them, I promise!! I would have loved to spend the whole day on the island to get more time to look around, but by 8.30am the next day, we were on the move again. We took a bikeride to some gorgeous waterfalls and then it was back onto a boat to see the biggestr waterfall in SE Asia before stopping for a delicious lunch and heading back to Pakse.

Pakse really is a boring, sleepy little town. It's only known for being a transport hub to the South. There is literally nothing there so once the sunsets, you can drink a bit but then with the curfew, there really is nothing to do later at night. Something which is becoming increasinly annoying! I'm just wondering what the deal is on NYE!!!

Fingers crossed!

xoxo

No comments: