“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain

Wednesday 22 April 2009

Married Men

Yesterday, I finished reading 'A Married Man' by Catherine Alliot.

I have to say, I do like easy, trashy reads from time to time, and this is my first by this author.

The story in this one? A woman's husband dies leaving her and their 2 sons financially struggling in London. Enter the evil but ridiculously rich mother-in-law, offering them a lifeline at a country manor in Oxford. The evil mother-in-law is out to destroy her and claim custody of the boys, but this backfires when she starts a fire which gets out of control and she dies.

I got really confused when I was reading it because of the title. In the book the protagonist falls for a married man but it's all over before it's even begun. She ends up meeting (and liking) the wife and hears the tragic story behind his philandering. That's about it.

I love the evil mother-in-law in this. Calculating, clever and I just couldn't believe all the twists, revealed neatly at the end. It's not some amazing book that I would tell everyone to go out and read - hell, I don't even think I'd recommend it, but I do like the way it is written.

This is the part where I would relate to my own life. But to be honest, I have nothing to say about this one. I've never gone, and never will go, after a married man. That's definitely crossing moral boundaries for me!

And that's all I have to say on the subject! LOL!

xx

No comments: