“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain

Monday 14 March 2011

What Do We Think?

I told you that I had a seismologist come into my lesson yesterday?

Well, today I had one of the JR (Japan Rail) directors come in. His English was at a much higher level than the seismologist's, so I managed to get more coherent information out of him.

He told me that all of the buildings in Tokyo are earthquake certified and that along with the transport system, have been desgined to withstand a 7.0M quake. He also told me that the safest place to be - believe it or not - was the subway! I had the impression that being underground would be worse because you were nearer the centre of the earth - and earthquakes come from deep underground right?

So how does this work?

He justified it like this. If you stand on a table and the table shakes, then if you are moving in the opposite direction to the table, then you will fall over. This is how he explained buildings collapsed.
But if you are IN the table (please use your imaginations here!), then you move in the same direction that it is shaking, consequently feeling less effects and being less likely to fall over. I was worried about using my line on the day of the quake because it's the deepest line in Tokyo. However, the Oedo line is the NEWEST, the STRONGEST and the SAFEST line here! It's completely surrounded by concrete and this JR guy said that it would be the best place to be. I can't help thinking that you'd be a bit buggered if the entrance to the station caved in. It's one of my worst fears to be trapped underground.

Anyway, when he was giving me all this information, I started to feel a certain piece of mind. No one is panicking here. The worst I got is that a couple of people are feeling nervous, but at the end of the day, earthquakes are not new to Japan and so many people keep telling me that Tokyo is strong and will be able to deal with this wothout too much drama. I might feel better but you can't be certain about these things and now is not the time to be getting complacent. If there is a tsunami warning, then Tokyo most defintiely NOT survive - we are on such low ground here - the possible devastation doesn't even bear thinking about.

I haven't decided whether I'm going to evacuate for sure yet. I've warned my work and closed off my schedule so that it causes minimum disruption. Even though it would do absolutely nothing for nmy state of mind to leave (GOD, I would just be worrying 24/7), it would keep me safe, so I haven't ruled it out. And I have every intention of bringing my girl with me. She's been through enough this past 6 months.

My poor friends.

My heart is literally ACHING for them. Some of them may have survived but they have lost absolutely EVERYTHING - including members of their own families.

It's unbearable. The pain is unbearable.

Please help - there is a donation set up with the red cross and some other charities. Whatever you have - please.

Please help.

xoxo

No comments: