“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain

Wednesday 15 October 2008

The Future

I was thinking today.

I was having one of those 'I'm living in Japan' surreal moments.

Plans are starting to come together. So much is banking on this transfer to Tokyo. But don't worry, I'm not stupid. I have a Plan B. Although I'm not ready to reveal my plans. Sorry.

I'm not one of those people who is scared of change. In fact, I embrace it! I love the excitement of doing something completely new. I've felt that excited everytime I've moved to a different country. And that's why coming here was so easy for me. I didn't have that fear. I was excited as hell at the airport and driving everyone mad because they were trying to get their thoughts together and I was the annoying miss genki!!

But I am thinking that now I have to start working out a future plan. Not necessarily where I'm gonna be living, but what I want to do. I was so set on diplomatic service. I enquired about it but you have to be willing to be placed anywhere in the world. With my languages, I'm guessing I would be placed in South America. Now I adore South America but it isn't somewhere I could live for 3 years. And that's the minimum length of time.

So I asked about specific country placements and it's basically a no. There's no guarantee and I could end up in the MIddle East. Which is an even bigger no. So I was advised to try and apply to embassies directly in the countries that I want to work in.

I still adore the idea of diplomatic service. But you basically have to surrender you chances of settling down. You're moving around every few years....it's not the most stable situation in the world.
I'm still goin for the FCO though. It's what I've wanted to do for years.

Yup, that's what I've been thinking about today.

No comments: