“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain

Monday 15 June 2009

Houseshares (Part 2)

The next place was a room in a 2LDK with this really cool (and VERY hot) Japanese guy who works in fashion. The place was really cool and only a 15min walk to Shinjuku. I loved it but the room and the kitchen were too small and after seeing my chosen place the day before, it didn't even come close.

After that was a gorgeous flat in Shinagawa. The apartment block was only 2 years old and it had an electronic entrance with this super posh lobby. The flat was on the 27th floor and the view over Tokyo was incredible. You could see Tokyo Tower and the buildings of Shinjuku and Roppongi. The flat was stunning. Everything was gorgeous and new. I would've been sharing with this 33 year old Japanese guy who would've taken 2man off the rent if I taught him English 2 hours a week.

Sounds pretty sweet right?

Then came the rules. Before I get into that, I just wanted to mention that this guy has 6 bikes. And he keeps 4 of them in the lounge. And had no intention of moving them. What a waste of space! So here are this guy's rules:

1) No talking on the phone after 9pm
2) No watching TV after 9pm
3) No music after 9pm
4) Friend's can't stay over
5) Boyfriends can't come over
6) Friends can't come over to drink and hang out
7) If friends or family come from England, they can't stay for more than a week.
8) Please enter the flat quietly.
9) You must keep your hand on the door until it closes. Do not let it slam.

What a moron! And on top of that I would have to share wardrobe space with him! When I first saw the flat, I coudn't believe it hadn't already been let. After speaking to him, I understand why. What a waste.

Next was a house share with 3 girls in Roppongi. 3min walk from Roppongi Hills - seriously dangerous!

I walked in and pretty much hated it straight away. Dark, dingy, and you had to squeeze past a washing machine to get into the kitchen - which was small and dirty. The room to rent was about 5 tatami mats and had a double bed in it which was way too big for the size of the room. The genkan had loadsa bugs crawling around which made me think that it would be seriously roach infested in the summer. The landlady is in Australia and sent me an email asking me what I thought. I laid it all out - I was like I'm not gonna move in there anyway so I just completely cussed it out.

She sent me an email back thanking me for my honesty because she wasn't aware of the state the place was in. She then offered me the room at a discounted price if I would manage the maid.

Thanks but no thanks.

It was after that that I realised I would never get a place better than the one I chose.

No comments: