“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain

Friday 26 June 2009

The King of Pop - My Tribute

Just last week, I was at my friend's house watching the 'Smooth Criminal' video on you tube.

While it may not be his best song or video, it's one of the most memorable for me. What a great song! I used to think that coin flip was so cool.

And then I got a mail this morning telling me that Michael Jackson has died.

WTF?? He was about to perform 50 dates in London (or was it UK?)! I was so jealous of my friends who had pressed redial for hours trying to get hold of tickets. Even after they sold out, one of my friend's paid 250quid buying a ticket from someone else. So, so jealous. I remember I even checked out the prices of flights home - that's how badly I wanted to go. It would've undoubtedly been one of the highlights of my life - seeing Michael Jackson live.

*sniff sniff*

When I got that mail, I legged it over to the computer to check out the news online. As I read report after report and went through his life in pictures, I became overwhelmed with sadness and could feel the tears welling up.

Why?

Man, I grew up idolising Michael Jackson. He was my childhood hero. I remember the intro and outro of Thriller used to scare the shit out of me. 'Beat It', 'Black & White', 'Smooth Criminal' and 'Dirty Diana' are all totally up there amongst my favourites.

At the time of 'Thriller' is definitely when he was looking his best. It used to upset me so much to see him slowly abandon his black heritage and then sing about how colour doesn't matter. He used to be such a handsome man.

But, I still admired him. Even with all the effed up things he did, he never lost my support. Even at the time of his trials for child molestation, I don't know why, but I fiercely defended him. I think it's because I adored him so much I didn't honestly believe he could do anything like that. I still believe he was innocent. People were out to cash in on his fortune. I remember staying up really late to watch the results of the trials on TV, and when he was acquitted, I was so, so happy.

All these Michael jokes really upset/offend me. He was found not guilty on all charges and it feels really unfair for people to carry on like that. Especially now - when he has just passed away. I still fiercely defend him.

I can't believe he's gone. Such a shock. King of Pop. Who DOESN'T like Michael Jackson's music?! He was such a big part of my childhood - my Dad had the 'Off the Wall' and 'Thriller' albums on vinyl and I used to love making up dance routines to the songs in my living room. I never tried to copy his moves - I couldn't moonwalk for shit! Although I think my brother could....

Ah man, it's such a beautiful day and I'm really sad :-( It's devastating news.

Lay off the jokes guys! Have some respect.

R.I.P Michael Jackson.

xx

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah he was an amazing talent. Hearing the news at work I was in total disbelief, he has been making music my whole life and was an extremely talented musician. Even people who make fun of him like his music.