“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain

Saturday 11 July 2009

Aaliyah

I spent a few hours today watching Aaliyah's videos on youtube.

Another talent taken away too soon.

She was only 22 when she died - I was 18 and a massive fan. I thought she had everything - she could sing, dance and was absolutely gorgeous. I remember watching the videos for 'Rock the Boat' and 'One in a Million' and trying to copy the make up.

When I was 17 and hitting up the clubs in London, I remember people telling me I looked like a young Aaliyah because I always wore my hair straight and covering one eye. I was so, so upset when she died. So young. Such a waste.

I watched the Michael Jackson funeral online today - well, the bits of it that I could find! And that just had me in floods of tears as well! But at least he got a send of worthy of the legend that he was.

And then I started to think...Michael Jackson died on 25th June....Aaliyah died on 25th August....and then I knew that Lisa 'Left Eye' (TLC) died on the 25th of a month as well. I had to check that one online...it was 25th April. And then of course, the legendary James Brown passed away on Christmas Day 3 years ago.

Does anyone else find that freaky? That these great artists all passed away on the 25th? And they're all black? It's really bothering me! What is it about that date that signals death for Afro-Americans? I'm actually a little bit scared to do any research about it even though I really want to!

I'm totally scared of that date now. Actually, that number is now evil to me. The 25th year of my life was perhaps the most painful....hmmmm...can't think of anything else but I don't want to!

25 is an unlucky number!

R.I.P Aaliyah, Left Eye, James Brown and Michael Jackson.

In tribute to Aaliyah I think I shall straighten my hair today. A very stupid idea seeing as it's raining and ridiculously humid. Oh well!

Love y'all.

xx

No comments: